Friday, September 25, 2009

More Botanical Gardens and Stunning Vistas

Well, me too. I was much taken with the National Tropical Botanical Garden as well.

It's nestled between the mountains (on the other side of which is the Kalalau Trail we've been so preparing for, they're at the very end of the east road)...and the sea on the other.


The location was a former farm...very former. The stones that make up the terraces for farming taro (starchy root like potato) have been dated back at least 700 years; Kauai was the first Hawaiian island settled from Polynesia.


My other favourite view today was the the Hanalei Valley Lookout along the highway. Again a taro field - this one still in operation after who knows how long. The intense green in the photo is not a digital artifact: IT IS TONED DOWN from the actual colour your eyes are dazzled by.


Tomorrow I swear I'll finally remember to bring my camera with my morning jog along Halanlei beach. The things that the morning light does to these colours against the ocean cannot be described.

No comments:

Post a Comment